It felt like a really long time to get to our court date after meeting Karina. It really wasn't that long, but I was scared that we would lose her so it felt like an eternity.
God taught me a lot through this process. About letting go. Over and over. As much as we are glad that Karina is ours to love, I am constantly reminded that none of our kids are OURS. They are God's and He will do what glorifies Him, whether it's what perfectly pleases me or not. Whether I'm patient or not. Even though I know all that stuff, sometimes I let my own plans and fears get in the way. And they were definitely trying to get in the way.
I'm also not usually a worrier. I remember our home study social worker asking about Ryan's and I's personalities - were we optimistic, pessimistic, or realistic. I claimed to be realistic. I normally plan for some things that could go wrong and how we could handle them, but I don't usually expect that everything will go wrong. I'd just rather be prepared and then enjoy it when things go well rather than have my optimistic hopes shattered by things going pretty well instead of totally awesome. Anyway, I did worry about this. Maybe it was a valid worry since some families got stuck right there when Russia banned U.S. adoptions at year end. But back to the point - thoughts would creep into my head, "What if they say no???" I could not imagine telling Addyson and Braden that their sister wasn't coming home. It was super rough to explain that they were getting a sister instead of a brother. Because, you see, we had prayed for a little boy by name for months. He existed. We pointed to where he lived on the globe. We prayed that he was warm, that he had food, that somebody hugged him today. And even if for some reason Russia would shut down adoptions or something happened and we didn't get to bring him home, we knew there was a little boy all the way across the world that looked at the same moon we did and he had a special place in our hearts. Braden was pretty excited about a boy. And they were really confused where he went and why we had a picture of a girl instead and we started praying for her. Braden still asks about him sometimes and when he is going to come home. Although after Karina came home he was pretty sure we didn't need any more babies. Change is tough for this little guy. Ryan and I were pretty confused about that part too but apparently that's what God's plan was so we went with it. But I didn't really want to have to change plans again and try to explain even more. Because they were falling as head over heels in love as we were with Karina.
Addyson was so excited to tell anyone that would listen that she was getting a sister.
So we waited as the hours passed to hear of our court date.
The day came and we got our phone call, got to work on more paperwork to clarify a few things for the judge, and prepared to leave again.
We arrived to winter in Russia. It was sleeting on our drive from the airport.
It was SO dreary and gloomy. The clouds hang so low - I'm not sure how to explain it but I've never experienced it here in the U.S. Like they are all around you. It didn't get light until mid-morning. It drizzled and snowed most of the time we were in country. It just felt bleak and dark and cold.
We knew chances were really good that we would pass court. But neither Ryan or I has been more nervous in our entire lives. We were so afraid that we would say the wrong thing to the judge and she would decide that Karina was better off without us. We studied and studied and prepped. Our agency was great help but we were still scared. It was like studying for the biggest test in your whole life . . . and we really did not want to do badly. A little girl was counting on us!
We got to see Karina the day before court. She was really scared. It was like she hit that stage where kids only want their mama. And we weren't her; her caregivers took that role. We knew she was scared then, but now that we know her better we realize just how terrified she was. We felt so bad for her. So there was a lot of thumb sucking and rocking during that visit.
We got all dressed up for court the next day.
It was a grueling few hours. We were so thankful for the great recommendations we got and what we learned but it was hard. Ryan had to field most of the questions and he did well. It was stressful to hear everything translated and have the judge and translator talking at the same time all while trying to formulate an answer that made sense. And some things just don't translate well culture wise. They were afraid our cattle might trample our children because they didn't understand cattle pens and fences. Whenever we saw cattle grazing out in the Russian countryside there was a guy like a cattle shepherd watching them with no pens. And when we explained one of our dogs was a mix - a mutt, they thought it was a scary pit bull mix like people use to protect their homes in Russia instead of the gentle loving puppy she is. Eventually we got the correct translations I think, but it was tough!! Everyone was obviously trying to make sure that Karina was going where it was safe for her and her best interest was at the forefront, but it wasn't very fun to be interrogated!!! But we survived. Then to our surprise, court was recessed until the next day. I hadn't even thought to worry about that option!! All of our things were in order and our time to talk was over, but they wanted more information from one of the others in attendance. So we had to wait another whole day to get our answer.
The good news was that we got to see Karina another time - it really was a completely wonderful surprise. We had scheduled in an extra day for sightseeing but instead we got to spend it with Karina!
And that day she remembered us from the day before and was ready to laugh and play. It was such a blessing to leave remembering her that way instead of the scared little girl from the day before.
She cheesed and posed each time we took her picture.
Then she got big yawns and fell asleep in our arms.
precious sleeping baby
The next day we got our court clothes back on. Thankfully it is normal to wear the same clothes over and over in Russia. Makes you think how crazy we get here in the U.S. about wearing the perfect outfit and having so many options. It's not really necessary.
Court was much less stressful the second day and the judge decreed that after the waiting period we would be Karina's parents!!!
Here we are outside the court building after the judge's decree!!
These are some pictures of the countryside.
There are bus stops in the middle of nowhere. I don't know how far people have to walk in the country to get to a bus stop but it must be quite a ways.
There are small houses once you get out further from Moscow.
They were colorful.
And no matter what state of disrepair, the windows have beautiful carvings. I wish we had better pictures but it's the best we could do from a moving vehicle with yucky windows.
There is such poverty and when you think you've seen an awful place to live there is worse.
Remember how I said the Moscow traffic was horrible?
You pretty much just stare at this and creep along.But we were so impressed at the way they can merge when there isn't even a lane to merge into. 3 lanes could merge onto a 5 or 6 lane highway like it's no big deal.
We flew out late in the day so we did have a little time to sightsee.
This was the view from our hotel room. We walked across that glass bridge.
And along the river. There were smoke stacks all over. They heat with steam.
We went to Old Arbat Street. It's an old road that is now a pedestrian "street" with lots of touristy souvenir shops.
And a few familiar American places. Can you figure out the Russian?
Starbucks
McDonald's
It was cold and rainy, but we stayed warm and toasty with our parkas and Russia boots.
And the stores were heated - and when they heat, they heat! Russia is freezing outside and burning up inside. We opened the windows multiple times. And were barefoot. It's crazy. I guess the steam heat is the same whether its below zero outside or 30 above.
Then it was time for our drive back to the airport.
More awful traffic and more smoke stacks.
And then lots of time on planes.
We were counting down the days until we could board again and so excited to have court behind us!!








































Those eyelashes of hers get me teared up every time I see new pics. She is so gorgeous! You & Ryan clean up well...you look wonderful on court day. Thanks for sharing your story of Karina with us. :D
ReplyDeleteI just cried reading your post. What a difficult process to adopt from there! When we got Mindy's photo, we just knew she was ours as soon as paperwork was done. We didn't even go to Korea as she was brought to us. It was not a real long process either; under a year. And much, much less expensive in those days. $6,000. So sad that it is ridiculously expensive and lengthy when there are so many children needing homes! But at least they were worried about her safety and that she wouldn't be trampled by your cows or eaten by your dog!
ReplyDeleteKarina is SO adorable!!! I'm enjoying reading about your story. Adoption is a wonderful thing, and I'm very happy for your family!
ReplyDelete