Monday, July 1, 2013

6 months home

Karina, since you had your half birthday that means you've also been home 6 months - SIX MONTHS!



I remember at one of your first appointments after you were home someone told us that it would take 6 months for you to get used to us. And it does finally feel like we are all really settling in.

I remember your scared eyes though. We thought you were pretty happy in those early days. And you were, but to look in your eyes now is completely different. 




You are joyful and comfortable. You are full of giggles and ornery and spunk and fun. And we love those eyes, but mostly we love YOU.



When we had your 18 month well check and Dr. Patron took you across the room so he could watch you walk to me you screamed and ran to me as fast as your chubby little feet would take you. And he said, "She's yours." And it finally does feel like that. Like you know and I know that I'm yours and I'm lucky and blessed to get to call you mine. I finally feel like I know you (as much as you know what a 1 year old thinks). I can know what you want by your grunts and noises and looks and can interpret many of your words. I have an idea of how you'll respond to most situations. I know what you like to eat and drink and what you don't. I usually know when you are about to bite or hit because you've had enough. And when you look at something with that ornery sparkle in your big beautiful eyes I can see your brain weaving a naughty idea to carry out. All the things a mama knows. And you save all your nasty stuff for me. You know I can handle your anger and fears and you deal them out in full force sometimes. Your daddy and I are just sure that sometimes you are cursing at us in some Russian/English baby dialect. You still HATE it when I wipe your nose and try to get those boogers and my goodness you can fight me. But I'm so glad because I know that means that you know I'm your mama and I can take it. And you love your dada too and finally will call him that - which makes him melt by the way. You have your daddy's heart in your hand. You can be such a stinker to him sometimes but also so, so sweet.

You love your brother and sister and it finally feels like you three have figured each other out. You miss your big buddies if they're gone and you give them the best night-night hugs and kisses most of the time - when you haven't decided to bug each other. You really are fighting and acting like siblings. You look for them as soon as you wake up. They are your best buds and you love to imitate anything they do - the good, the bad, and the ugly. You are pretty proud of yourself when you succeed. And super frustrated when you don't. You love it when they ask you if you want to play. You are starting to call them by their names. You say Adda and Bra-Bra. They are pretty smitten with you too. 



Braden loves to help you. Lately he likes to carry you and help you get down from whatever you've managed to climb and strand yourself on. He tries to help you down the stairs to the garage and into the car when I'm not looking. He wants to hold your hand and take you everywhere with him. And you are pretty much always ready to go anywhere.




Addyson loves to mommy you. You usually don't appreciate it so much, but sometimes I find you two playing so sweetly together. 



And you love to be girly with her. You like it when she brushes your hair. You love her shoes and her jewelry and pretend hair stuff. I think you two have lots of fun sister time ahead - and some pretty good knock down drag out fights too. Before long you can probably even share your clothes. :O) Addyson still outweighs you but not by all that much.

You are always busy and climbing.





And your hair will fit in the cutest pony tail.




It's been amazing to watch you grow in the last six months. Your little personality is so fun and you are bringing such joy to our house and to your world. So thankful for the time we've had with you. In some ways it feels like you've always been here but there have been lots of teeny tiny, sometimes unnoticeable, steps over the last six months to get us all to where we are today. Thankful we got to take them together. We love you so, so much. You've done amazingly well and been so much more than we even imagined you could be. Even in spite of our numerous mistakes along the way. This parenting gig turns out to be a wonderful, crazy challenge but you sure make it fun through the many twists and turns. Thanks for six super months sweet girl.

2 comments:

  1. A. looks so grown up in that pic of the three kiddos in the kitchen on chairs! I love that pic. Love 'em all! Tell Ryan hi for me...I know he must be swamped with wheat harvest. Hugs to you all!
    Jenn & all

    ReplyDelete